A Letter To My Unpublished Self by Liz Fenwick

Dear Me,
There are dark days ahead but persistence will pay off.
Keep heart because that is what puts emotion into your writing even if some days the emotion is on the down side of the scale.
Remember to hold onto to your dreams and belief in yourself when the rejections pile up. They are there to remind you to try harder. You can, you really can.
Dig deep and find in yourself what you weren’t sure was there. Put it on the page.
Believe in yourself. You love telling stories so believe that you can do it well and always keep trying to improve.
Push yourself harder. It’s scary but you can do it.
It’s okay to fail. With each failure you learn something be it about plot or life.
Aim high. Don’t sell yourself or your writing short. This is your career and you are in control of it – well mostly.
It’s okay to feel defeated and think this will never happen. It’s part of most writers’ processes. Embrace it and use the fear, the self-loathing, the despair in your writing to push to you to achieve more.
Laugh at every possible opportunity. Spend as much time as you can with like-minded supportive writers. They understand what drives you and what holds you back.
It will all be worth it when someone reads your story and gets it…when someone tells you you made them cry in a good way because again that means they cared about your characters –the ones you created and are so real in your head that you forget they are not living people.
Wine and chocolate always help as does a long soak in the tub or brisk walk. Use all of them as necessary but watch out for the wine and chocolate because they don’t help writer’s bottom but add to it.
Most of all enjoy the journey.
Love,
Me
Liz Fenwick’s Debut Novel THE CORNISH HOUSE is out now, and you can see the Novelicious review here.
Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Letter To My Unpublished Self by Liz Fenwick

1. Thanks for sharing that, Liz. I’ve written many a similar letter to myself over the years, so I relate to every word. It’s good to know I’m not the only one thinking those thoughts! Best of luck, I think you’ll do just fine…

2. lizfenwick says:

Thanks Amanda and Tasha!
    lx

3. Thank you, Liz. What a lovely post. Inspirational and motivational. xx

4. What a lovely post, Liz. Thank you. It’s inspirational and motivational. One to keep.
    Laura x

5. Debs says:

What a brilliant letter. x

6. joannalazuliportals says:

Fabulous! What a great idea 🙂
    D’you think it’s the combo of wine and chocolate that worsens Writer’s Bottom? Perhaps if I substitute the wine with tea….???

7. lizfenwick says:

Thanks Debs…

Joanna – it could be the combo more likely the quantity…but maybe the tea would help!
    lx

8. I agree with every word – love the post!

9. lizfenwick says:

Thanks so much Lisa!
    lx

10. katehardyauthor says:

That’s fabulous, Liz – and so true! Wishing you every success with A Cornish House 🙂

11. lizfenwick says:

Thanks Kate and Hazel!
    lx

12. I love this post! It’s exactly how I feel at times….and I’ll be sure to watch the chocolate 🙂 Good luck with the rest of your book launch – I’m loving your book so far!

13. lizfenwick says:

Irini – in your condition chocolate is most definitely allowed! I’m so thrilled that you are enjoying the book and that you are making people in the UK jealous by saying that as they can’t get their hands on it until Thursday!

lx

14. Pingback: International Chick Lit Month | Chicklit Club Connect

15. jessiecahalin says:

Thank you for this heartfelt reassurance.